I started sewing for her birthday during the snowy days of February. For years now, I’ve known that I wanted to make her a pair of wings. I first came across these when she was about eighteen months old, and knew that I’d find the gumption for all those cuts and stitches at some point.
With no real pattern to follow, I made a few measurements and started cutting the scallops with my rotary blade. It went quick enough. For the most part I made these wings out of fabric I already had on hand. The floral is an Alexander Henry print (appropriately named Zinnias) that I found six years ago while pregnant with her. I made four panels of curtains for her first bedroom with this fabric, curtains that do not fit any of our current windows, so finally, unable to bear seeing the fabric folded and collecting dust on my shelves, I cut into one of the panels, and used both the print and the white lining to make these wings.
The play cape (pattern from the book Growing Up Sew Liberated, borrowed rom the library) has been on my To Make list for almost just as long as the wings. And I absolutely love this Heather Ross unicorn print.
Seeing my girl run through the forest, under the cover of her magic cape brings me such joy. That little posey of yellow ragwort is the only thank you I need. The boy definitely needs one as well, and I don’t think I’ll be able to wait until his September birthday. Our summer adventures will most definitely need capes!
My first attempt at a Susanne dress was in early February. I struggled a bit with this pattern as it’s been translated from french, and well, I really had a hard time with the directions at a few crucial points. Something about being a self-taught sewist, I'm unable to easily interpret those neatly typed instructions into meaning in my head. At least not on my first go.
This second attempt went smoother than my first. It really is such a sweet little dress.
The Geranium dress has become a staple of her closet, and my sewing repertoire. This is my sixth time making this dress, I even had to buy the next pattern size up to accommodate my size six girl. (Size SIX! I remember wearing size six.) The dress is moderately easy to put together, the pattern very readable, and the design is just lovely...and pockets! The girl loves the pockets. This time around I also added on the optional flutter sleeve, which we both find super-adorable.
With most of my other sewing projects complete, I found myself one rainy March afternoon tapping my fingers on an empty work table. Eyeing my abundant stash of blue fabrics I got to thinking, then I got to cutting. Within an hour I was finishing up this little patchy blue skirt.
Even with all the birthday girl sewing, I made time to whip up a little something for the boy, too. More on that next time.
And just for fun, here is last year's handmade clothes parade, four dresses, a skirt and a quilt.